Saturday, December 13, 2008

And so the taper begins

Today was our big 20 miler. The last 2 long runs have been done in pouring rain. I discovered that I rather enjoyed running in the rain. The temps had been mild enough that I didn't feel too chilled. I found a fantastic running coat that is a water/wind resistant shell lined with fleece. It has been perfect. The last couple of weeks I have managed to get all my weekly short runs in as well. This has been significant and I am feeling better prepared now.

Today, we ran in a Nor'easter. Today was the big 20 miler and it was pretty brutal. We are experiencing some of the coldest temps for December since 1990. The run out wasn't too bad, the wind was behind us and we were partially sheltered on the trail. Coming back however was a much different story. By the time we were unsheltered the wind was fierce and it was one of the most difficult runs I have done since I started running. Running in a strong bitter cold head wind is no easy task. I am thankful the snow held off. There were a couple of moments I considered giving my inlaws a call to come pick me up. I didn't, I kept going. I have running partners and they really helped keep my motivation up. I love having partners. I trained almost completely solo for my first marathon. Even though I was part of Team In Training, all but 2 long runs were completed completely on my own.

Now we taper. I have been so looking forward to the taper. It means we are so close! Tapering isn't easy. It is tough to stop running at a shorter distance when you feel like you could just keep on going for another couple miles.


To give you an idea of the weather during our run:

1 comment:

Askew To You said...

Carol, I didn't know that you had this blog. I look forward to reading about your running adventures.

:D Michelle aka ca_Michelle