Thursday, August 7, 2008

Time to air the place out and dust out the cobwebs!

I am officially in the clear to train for a marathon again. After my last post in March I got very ill and was eventually diagnosed with Lupus. My last post in March signalled the point I stopped running. I spent the next several months visiting doctors, having blood tests, transfusions, and a multitude of other tests until the offical word was given.

I spent the spring and early summer figuring out the new body I have, trying a variety of horrific medicines and learning to live with chronic pain. So after all that I have been given go ahead to try to run and train for another marathon. Lupus has been more devastating to me on a personal level than a physical level. While the pain can be intense and difficult, the emotional aspect of not understanding my body clearly and having to learn to seek help and realize I can't do all I once did is far worse for me. I had to drop out of training for Anchorage and that marathon was important to me on a very personal level. My very closest childhood friend lives in Anchorage and I haven't seen her since I was 18. I was hoping not only to see a glimpse of Alaska, but also to try to make contact with her. Life continues and all I can do is keep moving forward.

This takes me to my new quest - training for Walt Disneyworld in January 09. This was my first week back running since March. It has been tough. Not only do I have the hot days of summer to contend with, but I am at square one. I feel like I am running in knee deep water. But I ran - 3 minute run, 1 minute walk intervals and I hit every day on the schedule.

I am excited and determined. Every Friday is blood test and weigh in day. As long as I maintain my platelet and iron counts and not drop in weight I get to keep running. So far so good!

I have to say, emotionally the running has been good for me this week. It momentarily lets me forget about my Lupus.

Off to take a pain pill and a handful of vitamins and minerals and then slumber here I come.

No comments: